[Harp-L] Re: Magic Dick tunings

Phil Lloyd asked about the Magic Harps tunings...

The patent for the Salwitz/Beauregard harmonicas is located here:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u
=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,166,461.WKU.&OS=PN/5,166,461&RS=PN/5,
166,461

Click on "Images" if you wish to view it in document form with the drawings,
but, you'll need to have an installed TIFF-viewer plug-in in your browser.
Info on how to download the plug-in is at the site.

However, I think Phil may have been looking for the tunings listed in Pat
Missin's Altered States tuning pages, downloadable here:
http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tunings.html

In the zipped file you download, go to TNGS008.TXT which discusses the Magic
Harp tunings [and others of "interest"] with the tunings of these harmonicas
listed below.

[BTW, Pat... you have an error in the Patent number on that page.  Should be
5,166,461 and you have 5116461.]  ;)

That said... you can also use Tinus's very nicely constructed interactive
website where he's made all of these tunings, and the others from Pat's site,
available with a click or two.  Impressive job, there, Tinus!!  Go here for
that site and click on 8.2, just like Pat's numbered it:
http://www.overblow.com/?l=scalefinder

One last info bit... From a bio on ArtistDirect.com's website at:
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/bio/0,,423241,00.html

>Salwitz "spent a good deal of the past ten years (post-J. Geils
>Band) with Pierre Beauregard working on a harmonica invention that
>would revolutionize the instruments tunings. A U. S. Patent was
>awarded Magic Dick and Beauregard, and the sounds of two of those
>harmonicas can be found on the instrumental "Full Court Press" on
>the 1994 Bluestime album, Dick's only co-write on that recording.

Happy reed wiggling!

=[bobbie]=