Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Repairs

Smo-Joe writes (snipped) in response to Gail:

" "Jewel" the slide. Take an exacto knife and holding it at a 45 degree
angle to the slide, scrape ever so gently around all the holes (on both
sides). Easiest way (if right handed) is to scrape all the hole edges
on  the right, turn the slide end for end, scrape all the holes on the
right,  turn the slide at a 90 degree angle to your belly, scrape all
the holes on  the right, give it a 180 and scrape all the holes on the
right.

Flip slide over and do the same thing. For a 64, you  will scrape 128
edges. Finish off by polishing with auto rubbing compound,  then use a
paste wax, and buff."

>   There
> were  2 tiny hollow plastic or rubber pieces that seemed to be just
>  floating
> around inside the works.

" The fit OVER the  mouthpiece screws and should be put back in place. If
chopped up, you can  use insulation off of #12 or 14 electrical wire,
depending on how stout the  insulation IS. Lamp chord works even better
as it is usually softer. The  tubes cushion the 'clicking' of the slide
bottoming out against the screws  during spirited slide work."

.....great info Smokey, I wouldn't have known how to "jewel" the slide, nor
to use insulation/lamp cord.  I have missing spacers and couldn't imagine
where I'd find replacements other than ordering them from Hohner, and don't even
know if that's possible.  Thanks!  -- on an old chromatic with no  spacers
in, eventually the slide reaches the point where it just won't work at  all.
Gail and I are equally technically challenged with our chroms.   You're great.

Elizabeth