Re: [Harp-L] listening to non harp music

On Jul 16, 2005, at 12:43 PM, Planet Harmonica wrote:

<< It has been said by several people on the list that you can learn a lot from
listening to non harp music. I watched a special on PBS on Louis Armstrng. Love
that style of blues. Love his attack and his articulation, and his phrasing. So
I was working on getting that crisp attack that Louis does so well. Almost by
accident, my vibrato went from a choppy ugly sound into smooth and clear. I
started working lower down the throat. Cool. Still wish I could get even a
small fraction of Louis' musicianship.

Rainbow Jimmy>>

Same here. The three Louis (Armstrong, Prima and Jordan) have been repeated listening for me these last few years. I just wish I had more time to practice...

Ben FELTEN
http://harmonica.typepad.com

And herein lies the problem? of trying to do 'different' stuff at a festival.
#1...Louis Armstrong. Not considered a very technical player (at least by symphonic horn players), he was what you would call "in his primitive phase". He was balky, choppy, sudden, almost spastic. Interestingly, the same traits could also be applied to Steveland Judkins Hardaway (Wonder).

BUT, Louis had personality. He literally oozed with the stuff in much the same way as I am now oozing perspiration from mowing the lawn. The guy 'dripped' with charisma and that came out in his playing. He was such a lovable person that I don't believe I have ever heard a bad word spoken of him.

To even TRY do do any of his style at a fest would be disaster because even if you (yourself) could manage the style, what would you have as back-up? Fests are geared to the 'trio' or 'ensemble' format as applied to multi-part multi-instrument presentation. Not meaning any dis respect, but there are Damn few Bass & Chord players who could handle it. I have had nothing but trouble trying to do any of the GOOD dixie-land numbers, as most people don't know them. I have no one in Fla with which to work the numbers out beforehand, and since I'm not getting paid...why bother.

The reason I don't play much at the fests is because I can't get the backup I need. Not that these guys aren't exceptional, it's just that 'I' want to do something different and most backup men know the tunes a certain way (usually the Harmonicats way). Don't get me wrong, I loved the Cats and Jerry was a friend of mine and we hung around the last 13 years of his life, but gimme a break...there's life AFTER the Cats. The Trio format is fine in it's place. I just don't happen to be in that particular place.

At Columbus, I was blessed to have the Carol Beth quartet. That was nice because I am used to playing with 4 to 6 to NINE 'other' musicians. Naturally I didn't try any Dixie-Land because there were no: Trombone, Trumpet, Clarinet.

#2...Louis Prima. Get serious, who in the hell can handle that 'shuffle' beat? It's fast, it's crazy. it's dilerious. :) On Thursdays we usually do either "When You're Smilin" or "Just a Gigolo". It's hard enough with a full band, let alone try to accomplish it with a Bass & Chord harmonica.

#3...Louid Jordan. Not as familiar with his stuff. Have heard it. Like it. Just never registered like the other two.

Conclusion: Let's face it, the harmonica fests are there to head line the HARMONICA, not other instruments. But, harmonica works well WITH these other instruments...better than you would sometimes think. We have an interesting thing going on down here. I am playing with "Any & ALL" and the listening public is very amused (which is the whole enchilada). Most of them never heard a harmonica played WITH a band in any other context than country western or blues. Those that HAVE...really dig it.

Steve Web said something that really struck me (he usually does). He mentioned NON-harmonica music. I took to wondering: IS there any non-harmonica music. Yeas, I think there are some tunes that just don't equate, but all in all, I feel that a body could try ANYTHING just for the grins and merely to see how it flies. If the dog won't hunt, pitch the tune. If you can finnagle something weird out of it...get a transfer off the one way ticket to Palookaville.

Just another drain from my brain...........smokey-joe & Kiss my Brass
& the Cafe s