Re: [Harp-L] cleaning tips

I have used polident and warm distilled water on my sp20s for years. Usually use 2 tablets and soak about 6 harps at a time. Let em' soak for about 5 min-rinse-leave them out to dry.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Smith, Richard" <rismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:27 AM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] cleaning tips

The other, more famous Richard Smith (the English one) suggests
using effervescent type denture cleaner for cleaning harps.
I've heard that suggestion before, and it always sounded like a
terrific idea to me.  But, I remember reading somewhere that
this type of cleaner will "discolor" the reed plates.  I guess
this wouldn't be a big deal, if only the color is affected.
However, I can't help feeling that this discoloring is due to
some change to the metal, and that this change may also affect
the sound of the reeds.  I would really like to try this method,
but I'm cautiously hesitant.  Richard, do you actually use this
method?  Can you dispell my fears? How about some of you other
Harp-L'ers?

Richard J. Smith
Wormleysburg, PA

-----Original Message----- From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Richard Smith Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:45 AM To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: [Harp-L] cleaning tips

Hi Guys,

Think about where the harp is placed ....... in the mouth

Think about what else could be in there ......... dentures

Think about using a false teeth cleaner tablet in a glass or shallow tray
and follow the instructions for dentures but with the reedplate in the glass
instead ..!!

"Steradent" works a treat AND the chemicals used are human friendly..!! In
fact I think I might market it..!!
(sorry about using a trade name but that is all I know of in the UK)

Richard Smith (the English one)