Re: [Harp-L] cleaning tips

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:44:53 +0100
From: "Richard Smith" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] cleaning tips
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
>8<  Think about using a false teeth cleaner tablet in a glass or shallow tray
>and follow the instructions for dentures but with the reedplate in the glass
>instead ..!!
>"Steradent" works a treat AND the chemicals used are human friendly..!!
>Richard Smith (the English one)

Hi Richard,
  I used Steradent for a while after reading this advice a few years ago on
this list.   A couple of things to be aware of.  Steradent tarnishes the
brass something wicked making it go almost black.   I don't know whether
this is anything more than superficial, but I think its only right that
users be aware of this.
  Also steradent isn't particularly healthy for chromatic harmonica's
valves, in that I've had several come unglued after this sort of treatment.
  And, like anything involving wood combs, its probably not a good idea to
soak them, with or without steradent.

Otherwise it works well, removes gunk, leaves them clean, albeit a funny
colour.

-- G.