Re: [Harp-L] Sweet Georgia Brown

On 7/12/2005, b2becom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Hey all you harp-l-ers out there - anyone done or know of a harp recording
of this old std?  My jug band wants to play it and I can't find any versions
that are harp specific for lead and or accompanyment.  any help would be
appreciated!

>--
>Ross "harpdog" Macdonald

Ross, one of the true elder statesmen of Dixieland Jazz on chromatic
harmonica is a fellow named Joe Martin, who lives... where else?... In New
Orleans.  He's approaching 80 years nowadays, I believe, but still gigging
last I heard, and rarely recorded, unfortunately.  But he does have a CD made
up from some older recordings of him and his band[s] called "Jazz A Plenty",
on which the final cut is "Sweet Georgia Brown".

The recording quality is not the best... I think most of these came from
cassette tape recordings.  And, Joe is usually at HIS best when playing live.
 But, I still think this CD can offer you a lot of insight into the swinging
genre of Dixieland Jazz using harmonica that he's honed so well, and that
Sweet Georgia Brown fits so perfectly.

On the back of the CD, the phone number for booking info is [985] 626-9115.
If you'd like his mailing address, contact me offlist.

He's a sweet guy who I'm sure has lived for the music all his life, I'm very
happy to say!

Good luck with the tune!
Bobbie