[Harp-L] Re : 12" Speakers for newly made 2X12 cab // Was : (no subject)

rainbow jimmy axed :

Excerpt.

" I'm putting together a 2x12 cab. Any recommendations for harp friendly 12s.   "

Hurricane sez :

Both of those you mentioned are good , I have played with those in the past in Fender amps . My little Gibson Skylark's ( 8" ) Jensen has a vintage sound so maybe they are a great consideration since they use the same paper on the 12's ( or at least they did in the past ) .

One really great brand to consider if you can get a good deal on them are Celestions , theu are tough & rugged , mean when you want them , and then again mellow went it's a sweet west coast jazzy jump your after .

I had my first experience with a pair of Celestian 12's in a Marshall cabinet . The tube amp it had was a 60 watter . The most memorable thing ( besides many other groovin sounds it pumped ) to me was the percussive pop you felt when chuggin , I can not begin to tell you how nice that is when  your synchronizing with the drummer's snare drum on the back beat chuggin away , wow it was fantastic ans super addictive , better use care  , use it once and your a hooked harpin junky :)

The most unreal thing about the twin Celestion's 12's was :

They where torn and ripped - - - and there was a rats nest in the cabinet , yucko man !

But where there is a will ..........

¡ Silicone glue to the rescue for de speakas and a lot off point to point re wiring & soldering for me and a replaced new front grill - - - !

It looked awesome in it's simple black faced appearance .You would never have know it ever was out of commision for years in a garage after I tricked it out and made it all sano . It was  worth it , well worth it . I paid $150.00 for it as it was . I sold the whole amp & speakers for $700.00  ( which included a nice $110.00 Variac I installed in it oooooooooooo  saaaaweet !  ) in the mid 90's after 5 years of happiness and a sore back .

I and ended up with a lighter rig that gives me everything the Celestions did except it's  got a " British Blaster " 1x12" that cooks a lot like the Celestions , however the percussive pop it's got is a little less that 2X12" Celestions , vewwy vewwy cwose ....... And my back feels soooooo much better too .

- - and - -

It's is powered by a 60 watt tube/x-tor hybrid Carvin amp ( circa 1994 ) I have had since the Marshall that is just plane killer too .

Recently I have read about the hemp coned 12's Eric Clapton and other rockers are using like Warren Hayes ( ¿ Gov't Mule anyone ?  man o man I likes dem lots ) . What has been said by these guitar players is they are better than any others they have played through including the Celestions which many many Rock-N-Roll hall of famers rave of

- - - Maybe when they warm up they " impart " a certain groooooove to get behind  maybe when they blow a speaker those guys make super blunts out of the speaker cones paper heh heh heh WOW:)_~~~ ! - - -

- - -  - All joking aside - - - -

But the most important

- - - - thang - - - -

to remember is to match the out put of your amp to the speakers you finally end up with so when you turn it up to max  it's warm sweet city distortionville sound ya get and your in harp heaven .

Too  much speaker for the amp results in low out put in the sound , to big a amp's power output and your speakers are toast if you accidentally turn it up past the speakers designed power handling perimeters .

Decisions , decisions , decisions , deeeeeeecisions , a harmonica maniac's work is never done !

Good luck Brother Jimmy .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

Aka :