Re: [Harp-L] Augusta? - Jam Camp? - where should I go?

Having taught and participated at all of the harmonica gatherings offered over the years, my recommendations are:

Jam Camp w/Gindick - The best and most user friendly, encouraging, supportive, loose structured (unformalized, I mean), introduction for harmonica, mostly for beginner to beg/intermediate level players. This doesn't mean that the teachers are not of ability to teach advanced concepts, but that the attendees usually dictate to what level the course takes. Attendees at Jam Camps are a lot of first timers, those that have played for a few months, older players trying blues for the first time, Doctors and Lawyers with the bug to try something musical, etc. Jon specializes in making things easy and fun. The One-on-One is a nice feature and makes attendees feel they are getting personal attention. These sessions are usually 10 - 15 minutes each (at least, that was my experience in the two jam camps where I did most of the one-on-ones). These weekends are an investment, with the cost of hotel/meals separate from the tuition.

Barrett Masterclass - more formally structured, like a college course, well thought out, with more to offer the intermediate to advanced student. If you enjoy this structure and get with Dave's step by step program, he will lead you towards a deeper understanding of blues playing technique, form and structure. Also an investment for hotel/meal and tuition for the weekend.

Augusta Heritage Blues Week - The best overall magical experience, as it encompasses more than just blues harmonica and blues. Blues harmonica is a piece of the whole program, along with BarBQue courses, craft courses, stonemasonry, blacksmithing, herbal gathering, swing music, vocal music, old tyme music, dance classes, etc. This week has something to offer ALL level of player, from the first time beginner to the experienced performer looking for new ideas to incorporate. Artists such as the late Rock Bottom have attended blues week for instruction and inspiration. Alan Holmes was a fixture for many years there, not as a teacher, per se, but to benefit from the magic. Augusta offers a lot of opportunity for one-on-ones with the instructors, and the teachers all give freely of their time and experience. After all, you've got a full 6 days/nights to hook up. The cost is the real bargain of all these harmonica experiences - just under $500 for full room/board, all daytime classes, admission to 2 major concerts and all the dances, and jamming all night every night until the sun comes out or the jammers poop out.

Everyone should experience ALL of these wonderful gatherings. After all, it is the EXPERIENCES that will be remembered when we look back upon our lives, and these are all wonderful ones.

The Iceman