[Harp-L] If you can't stand the heat...

Our trio played at an afternoon wedding party yesterday. We were sat in a gazebo with open sides so we had some protection from direct sun, but the garden itself is a real suntrap and boy was it hot. All the time we were playing the sweat was pouring off and my lips were drying out, in spite of tons of lip-balm and copious water (a swig ever five minutes at least!), and I was wearing my wide-brimmed hat. What more could I do? The conditions definitely had an adverse effect on our playing - the fiddle player just couldn't get into it at all and that rubbed off on me too. Luckily most people were getting well-juiced by the time we got on (we followed a jazz band) so their critical faculties were reduced ;-) I had a few very salty harps to clean out when I got home. Has anyone (maybe from a hotter clime than I'm used to!) got any good advice for getting round this?

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm