Re: [Harp-L] Re: XB-40

Hi all.

I'm glad to see the exchange of ideas about the XB. Glad because I am, besides being the Hohner guy, a great fan of the XB and its possibilities.

I could relate a lot to what Richard and Michael said about the instruments. It is a super-diatonic, without being a diatonic. It is not a diatonic because it is bigger than a diatonic, has more reeds, has valves, has a completely different sound and feel. But it is a super-diatonic in the sense that it does a lot of things that the diatonic does, in its own special way, and much more.

I also expected the XB to be a better option to chromaticity than a regular diatonic. And it could be argued that it is. At least, if one is accostumed to the richter layout and has not yet ventured into overblowing, the XB is a good option. You get the extra notes that you need using the same bending technique that you already know, without having to learn the dificult overblowing technique.

But Michael Peloquin hits the nail in the head when he says:

"I know that my attempts on my XB40 in C are frustrating in that I have an OB thought process that is the exact opposite of the all notes bend DOWN process on the XB40."

Of course, if you are already accostumed to overblowing, the principle of the XB might be confusing, and maybe even unnecessary. Howard Levy did not spend too much time thinking about the XB. He already has his tools for his work, and is happy (and we too) with the results he gets with them. Why bother with a change? Maybe if he wanted a different sound.

I was a bit restless after getting my XB-40, because I expected it to be the answer to chromatic playing. Playing it, I found that it was not. For a very simple reason: the richter layout is not the smartest solution for playing chromatically. But then, as Richard mentioned, I discovered that it was a diatonic with extra powers, and that brought peace back to my mind. I haven't used the XB too much yet, but now, when I use it, I know what and why I am using it for.

To close this e-mail, I just wanted to mention that the solution for chromatic playing on the diatonic that I have chosen for myself is the diminished layout. I have not started working on it yet, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Both on diatonic and on chromatic. And even XB-40. Maybe even Bass. But this is a whole different topic.

All the best to you all,
Fernando, lurking in Trossingen