[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 23, Issue 10

Thanks for this link. Just reading the article gave me a slight head-ache (I´m not big on technical stuff), but it gives you a perspective of what kind of money people are willing to put down in order to sound as they want to and the know-how needed to achieve it. And at times even that isn´t enough.

  But, of course, as we all know (according to Received Opinion/Harp-l mythology) gear is only responsible for, what is it?, 1 percent of your sound ...

Martin

PS. Maybe one day somebody with more endurance and interest in this theme than I can muster, will come out and confront this ridiculous notion. I think all of us who have paid good money for a microphone or amp knows that gear matters to a considerable and at times crucial extent; I´ve even heard Bob Dylan sound half good. (Can´t remember the tune but it was on a movie sound track towards the end of the film. He had obviously been taken care of by a competent sound man.)

John K wrote:

This is not a review -- just a few thoughts and a link
to live gear FWIW.

Blues Traveler played an outdoor concert yesterday
with Gov't Mule and others at Grand Targhee ( a ski
resoort on the west side of the Tetons in Wyoming).

It was great to see an audience of enthusiastic young
people repsondig so well to a band led by a harp
player.  John was putting it out there vocally and
harmonicaly.

It was interesting to me that, even with thousands of
dollars worth of gear and being the leader of the
band, I still couldn't hear his harp well in the mix!
Presumably he was hearing it well on-stage.  (Later in
the set, he was playing into the vocal mike more, and
I could hear it better.)

I enjoyed his playing -- it works great for what he is
doing.  His did this little skat thing late in the
show that seemed a bit like he was taking the harp
away from his mouth and showing a bit of what he does
-- a lot of fast tongue work in that skat anyway.

For those who haven't seen him, he's got this darth
vader looking black gizmo as big as a softball that
his SM58 looking microphone plugs into; thegizmo has a
fat cable coming out of it that I assumed was a
"snake" consisting of various cables going to
different "set-ups."  The gizmo had 5 little silver
knobs in a V-shape and a bigger black knob.  He holds
the gizmo pretty much constantly in his right hand.
While singing, he tends to hold the vocal microphone
and his harp in his left hand.

I did a little google this morning to see what the
gizmo was about; here is a link:

http://mixonline.com/livesound/tours/audio_travelin_sound/

--John K.

Yahoo! Sports