Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Who decides who is Bad or Good?

reading the posts on harpl can be somewhat daunting because a lot of the best players make posts here. I try not to get too depressed about how meager my talents are and try to learn from the posts and not compare where I am on the harp as opposed to where they are. I get favorable comments when I play and get asked to sit in with folks that know me. That may not be earth shattering to most of you but it makes me feel good and provides the inspiration for the practice sessions. As for the pros-I buy your music, I go to see you live, I love what you do with the harmonica, and I appreciate your inputs on this list.
----- Original Message ----- From: "fjm" <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "h-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Who decides who is Bad or Good?

Elizabeth writes:

How on earth is someone ever to find out if they even have "chops" or "tone" or "resonance" without proper input and not dismissive judgment?

And that's always been the knock on harp-l. A mean list. We hope we've subtley nudged everyone in a slightly more tolerant direction but there is more than a grain of truth in your assesment. Looking at the achievments of others in elevation of your own skills hardly strikes me as coming from a place of security. In other words you're not in this alone. We all fret horribly about how we sound and the weakness of our abilities. fjm