[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 23, Issue 4

Hi all, been listening here for a long time.

I have been playing acoustically for a long time but only in the last twelve months had to start to be amplified to play in a couple of jams that I like to frequent.

I have to agree with Robert Gaustad, first rule is to be heard in the mix, the greatest problem I have had is being loud enough to be heard on a reliable basis.

I started with a blues junior and green bullet set up and have been experimenting with lots of different options.

Once I played the bullet directly into the desk when a guest guitarist wanted to use my amp, got heard OK that day another time my JT30 crystal failed and played a $2 ebay old hi-z dynamic mic through the junior and was the loudest and by audience feedback the best I have been at the jam.

Last jam I used a Behringer valve mic pre amp with an old bullet dynamic mic direct to the pa and it worked really nicely. I see that a few of the pros here use a similar set up when they travel.

OK so it isn't a 4 by 10 and an MC101 element with heaps of watts behind it but it does cut through and you get asked back to play some more. And the audience don't mind as long as you are inside the mix.

Of course when I play in the bands I use the junior an mic up, get the preparation right etc etc but that is a whole different discussion!!

Cheers from Oz and thanks for the contributions here by all which has made the trip to where I have got to now a whole lot easier and better informed.

Derek