[Harp-L] The Gear and set up

>>Practice acoustically and forget the amplification.  When you sound
>good
>>acoustically, you'll sound good no matter what amp or mic you use.
>Plus,
>>you can hear the nuances of your tone and the notes you are playing.

I disagree with this.  I play both electric and acoustic.  My
acoustic absolutely do not translate to the amp. My electric chops
work acoustically but it's not my regular sound so that doesn't work
for me either.

The best thing to is practice with your electric rig for those
eletric chops and practice your acoustic stuff in the bathroom.

All of my really blazingly fast runs and micro-tonal scales do not
worth through the bassman.  The gear simply can not track it well
enough so it comes out sounding like mush.

I've got a full arsenal of electric chops these days and I sound like
a completely different player through my hemi rig.  As somebody
mentioned it's very much like the difference between electric and
acoutisic guitar in that they are almost different instruments.

Speaking of gear:

I played a show tonight with me and a djembe player.  It was a blast
and not as hard as I thought it would be playing for three hours.  A
while ago I picked up an Electro Harmonix POG - This this is amazing!
I can get so many different sounds out of it and I've never know an
effects pedal to track the harmonica so well.  I can dial it in to
sound like a hammond B3, Church Pipe Organ, Steel Drums etc...  it
was wild.

My regular electric set up these days is

EV RE-10
AKG wireless
MXR 10 band EQ or Boss OC2 or EHX Microsynth depending on my mood.
EHX POG
Boss Chorus
Maxton Auto Filter (envelope Filter)
Boss loop station
Rocktron Hush
Boss Analog Delay

Bassmann RI LTD with NOS tubes
Plugged into norm one
n vol - 3
b vol - 6
treble - 3
bass - 10
Mid -10
pres - 6

With this set up I can sound like a guitar, sax, Organ, Laser gun
from Mars or badass harmonica player.

My acoustic set up is sennheiser 441 through the RP 400 for EQ and
verb effects.

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
CD Available