Re: [Harp-L] Intimidation

I was at the Masterclass in San Jose.. must have been 98, because Levy and
Primich weren't there.. but Sonny Jr. was there... He does his thing, folks, as
well as a thing can be done. That was great harp. Sonny Terry was, after
Charlie McCoy, the second harp player I discovered way back when I was first trying
to find anything 'harp' in record stores. I saw Sonny and Brownie live in
Minneaplis, opening for Bonnie Raitt and it was great. Sonny Jr. does great
credit to the name....

In a message dated 7/1/05 3:20:19 PM, SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx writes:
> Just my little note. When I did the Masterclass with David Barrett in
> 1999,
> Dave did a showcase where he had Howard Levy, Gary Primich, and Lee Oskar on
> the  podium with the whole class of 100 students, then he says, Hey Sonny,
> come
> up  here too. And he puts me between Howard and Gary, and we had to play 16
> bars starting off with just the first two holes, then go around and play
> just
> the first 3 holes, few times around. So I am following Howard Levy, then
> Primich, then Lee, so I am thinking, what the HELL could I possibly play.
> After
> Howard blew his stuff I just did some hand flailing Sonny Terry stuff, then
> Gary  played some FAT tone, then Lee played his sweetness, next around same
> thing, and  Howard looked over at me the second time after my thing and gave
> me
> one of those  smiles. That smile was one of those I will never forget. Was I
> intimidated, bet  your ass. But you do your thing, is the main point, and if
> you
> practice enough,  then some more, and more, your thing will be YOUR thing.
> Thanks DAVE. Like  teaching someone to swim by pushing them in the pool.
> Worked
> though, I have  never worked harder since meeting David Barrett, the pioneer
> and master of  teaching harmonica in my eyes. Sonny Jr.

Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb