Re: [Harp-L] a little more on gear

Joel Fritz wrote:

> Bay Area guitar player Kid Anderson (this guy's a
> complete freak--makes every guitar player in the
> audience's jaw drop and eyes glaze) has been
> playing through a Roland Jazz Chorus lately.  He
> sounds exactly the same as he did through his black
> face Super Reverb.  A guitar player friend of mine
> who's semi-retired from music but who toured with
> Frankie Lee for five years or so plays through a
> beat up Fender Stage 100 using a Tube screamer.  I
> can't tell the difference between his solid state
> setup and times I've heard him play through a
vintage
> tube amp.

That was pretty freaky until Kid cranked up the chorus
effect.  Then it sounded quite a bit different.  I've
seen several blues guitar players use those Jazz
Choruses back in Chicago.  They sound really good
through them.  It's a more contemporary sound
depending on the style of blues being played, it can
sound really  nice.

Have you ever noticed that when Kid sees you looking
him in the eyes, he seems to feed off of it and kicks
it up another level or two.  It's surreal.

> I go to a jam that R.J. Mischo runs.  He uses a both

> JT-30 and the vocal mic.  His sound through the
vocal
> mic is different--no cupping, but it's big, fat, and
> loud. When the band is not playing at earsplitting
> volume he can stand a food away from the vocal mic
> and sound the same as he does close up.

When he does cup the vocal mic it starts to distort,
but nothing like the JT-30 and his amp du jour.  He
sounds great no matter what he plays through.  R.J.
has a very nice tone.  I like how he blends Big &
Little Walter, Sonny Boy II, Junior Wells and George
Smith into his playing.  He whipped out a great George
Smith tune on Saturday night that was really painful
for folks.  It was so damn good that their jaws hit
the floor.

When you play through his equipment, you really
realize how much of the sound comes from the player.
Proving once again, that if your technique and tone
sucks, you are still going to suck, but on a much
larger, louder and grander scale.  That's been a
painful lesson to learn each and every week, but it
does sink in.  It's even more painful when you share
the stage with him and you get that A/B comparison of
his sound versus yours going.  Fortunately, the pain
stops once I stop by the bar for a drink.

Cheers,

Joe