[Harp-L] re: Gear

I know the importance of being an accomplished player, paying your
dues, woodshedding etc., but I for one believe that gear does make great
players sound greater.  Case in point, I had a very accomplished player
borrow my amp for a gig.  We happen to use the same mic and virtually
the same rig.  He played it, it sounded great...I played it and I still
thought it sounded really good.

Later that week, the same harp player sat in with my band.  I,
unfortunately, had to use a different amp and we both played through a Bronson
rather then my Bassman RI Ltd.  Not only did I sound different, but the
other player did as well.  There just wasn't the same crisp punch from
the amp.

Needless to say, neither of us sounded bad through my smaller amp, but
there was definelty a different sound coming from it.  Personally, I
would rather play my Bassman 100% of the time.  So while great gear won't
make the player, it does have an impact on what the player sounds like.
Good gear and a good set up will make a good player sound better then
the same harper with a lesser rig.

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals
NiteRail