RE: [Harp-L] Double stop

Richard Hunter wrote:
> ...2) On the harmonica, it's possible for almost anyone to hit a double
> stop of a 10th (e.g. draw 2 and draw 7).  With practice, most players
> can hit a double octave (e.g. blow 3 and blow 9), at least on the blow
> notes.

Hit them, maybe, but play a melody with them?  That's something else all
together!

> 3) The technique can be hard to hear in a band context -- it's not
> always clear what notes are being played by whom when there's a lot of
> musicians playing at once.  The technique can be heard very clearly in
> several of the solo pieces available for free download at my website at:
> http://hunterharp.com/mp3s.html
> Check out "Widow's Walk" and "Billy The Kid" in particular.  The former
> is played in first position on a natural minor harp, the latter in
> second  position on a country-tuned diatonic (draw 5 reed tuned up one
> half step)...

And if you like those, check out Richard's "Star Spangled Banner," my
personal favorite example of some "extreme" double-stop harmonica playing.
[BTW, Richard, you haven't by any chance had your tongue surgically altered
in any way have you?   <giggle>]

Seriously, folks this is some of the most amazing harp playing I've ever
heard.  Listen and then try doing it yourself sometime if you don't believe
me!

Thanks for reminding me about and making those songs available, Richard.
Things of true beauty!

Michelle