[Harp-L] Re: Boutique amps

I've watched a number of comments regarding boutique amps on this list,
and the range of viewpoints has been very instructive.  I've described
my rig in detail on this list before, so I'm not going to rehash it, or
arguments in favor of or opposed to boutique gear.

I want to point out that it is fabulous that harmonica players now have
the option to buy high quality hand-made amps designed expressly for pro
harmonica players, at prices that are similar to medium and high-end
rigs for amplifying guitar.  It's fabulous also that a custom-made
device as universally acclaimed as the Holmes Harp Commander, also
designed expressly for harmonica, is available at a price that is within
reach of many amateur as well as pro players.

It's fabulous that harmonica players have a wide variety of customized
instruments available to them, too, ranging from the AX20 Turboharp to
the $3,000 (last time I looked) Renaissance chromatic, as well as
higher-quality off-the-shelf instruments.  You can argue about whether
the boutique gear is worth the price, but you can't argue about one
thing: ten years ago you didn't have the choice.

Something is happening here: the market for harmonicas and related
equipment is getting big enough to support a high, middle, and low end
for every piece of gear in the chain. This is new.  Whether or not it
lasts, shrinks, or expands remains to be seen, but it's a great thing
for harp players at every level while it lasts.  If you can make a
decent sound on an unamplified harp, somebody makes the gear you need to
deliver exactly the sound you want to the audience.  Like, wow.

Caveat: I'm still waiting for a synthesizer, like the Dave Smith Evolver
or the Roger Linn AdrenaLinn, that works with harmonica input, "works"
in this case meaning "produces a sound that does not feed back
uncontrollably or destroy the hearing of everyone in the room".  But I'm
not holding my breath while I wait.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com