Re: [Harp-L] "boutique" amps

Actually Bret, the Meteor is only $1550. (I know, only ????????) To be
perfectly honest with you,
making amps pay's about $3 an hour. If you figure in all of the parts, the
time to build them, all of the
business overhead (phone, heat, tools & equiptment, office supplies, gas to
get to all of the places you
have to frequent when having parts made, etc....) it's not as glamorous as
it might sound. I'm lucky in
the fact that I can do all of the work in house except for building the
cab's, the sheet metal work & the screen
printing. Even still it costs a lot. I know that Sonny pays a lot more than
I do to build his amp and it's
reflected in the price. We often joke about getting a job at McDonalds to
pay the bill's. The reason that
we do this isnt for the cash. Shure, we both like to think that there's a
big break of some sort in our future
but the reality of it is that we like what we do and who we have the
opportunity to deal with. I get to talk
to people of all skill levels from all over the world. Better yet, I get
calls from a lot of them telling me how happy
they are. That right there is the payment. I play in a band and I know that
theres no money in gigging. I'm
a gear junkie and I cant afford the gear that I want. My whole idea was to
put some cash back in the players
pocket. My original sale price was going to be $1100. It didnt take long to
realize that at that price I would
be paying people to have one of my amps. I guess that this whole rant is
just to say that although it sounds like
a lot to buy a boutique amp, you really get a lot of value from it. If I can
get big like Fender and buy
parts by the truck load at deep discounts, I promise that it will be
reflected in the re-sale price.

Scooter