Re: [Harp-L] Importance of "boutique" amps

In a message dated 29-Jan-05 11:31:23 AM Central Standard Time, dlj@xxxxxx
writes:

>   Rick played first, and tried a BF Super Reverb.  After a few toots, he
> switched to a Fender Hodrod Deville.  Kim Wilson also used the Deville.
>   Both players were wonderful, as expected.  Their distinctive
> individual styles and sounds were fully apparent despite the shared
> pedestrian equipment.

I would also have to praise the blues deville(4X10 version). I have owned
5 different ones(a tweed, a creme with oxblood, and 3 diferent hotrod
devilles)
and they all(except for one hotrod deville) have been work horses. One
observation
I would make is that from the factory they set the bias too high(runs way too
hot), which may burn out the power tubes alot sooner. I am talking amps that
have gotten
used on 3 jams a week(dozens of guitar players and harp players) 3 gigs a
week.
Sam Myers even liked them. These amps can be problematic, having a circuit
board
that eventually can get loose and make them sound pretty bad. On the whole
they do take alot of abuse. Right now I am using a bassman RI on harp gigs and a
BF SR on guitar gigs. The RI amp is fine, althought it does not sound as good
as an original 59' bassman(neither does the deville) but it does sound good
enough.
HB