Re: [Harp-L] Honey Tone and other portable amps

Meanwhile, talking about that kind of amps let me introduce the Smokey Mini Amp. Well, that's not a Bassman, but still pretty nice.

That's a mini amp, tiny and nice looking. Reminds me that I-mac design. Available in several colours ... ... That amp is small, very small: smaller than my hand (well, I got big hands) and self powered by an included 9Volt battery. Not knobs, no controls. Just plug and play. There is an audio output to plug into another amp or to use a headset (well harmonica player using a headset ????)

Anyway, I have been pretty impressed by the tone and the power of that amp. It screams!! really a funny stuff. I recommand you to get one.

You should try it, but beware: if you try it, I'm pretty sure you're buy it!!

I am also wondering if there is any of you using that kind of amp on stage.

I remember I have seen, in Germany, a harmonica player using a mini Vox AC1 on stage. He was putting a shure SM57 in front of it. His sound was pretty darn amazing. Sounded really nice with his green bullet.

Froggy

I use my Yamaha VA10 battery/mains amp all the time now in the small venues which I mostly play in. The six D-cell batteries last for months, so I don't even bother to plug into the mains most of the time. It's rated at 6 watts, and the sound emanating from it is praised by those who hear it. Among lots of other things (including treble, middle and bass) it has a very useful delay effect (variable) built in. But it weighs in at about eight or nine pounds with batteries, and I'm looking for something much smaller for travelling around with, e.g. on my upcoming trip to Australia. I realise you can't be TOO demanding at this level, but I definitely want a volume control. So far it's Honeytone vs Smokey vs minivox AC1.....

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm