RE: [Harp-L] blues jams and John Kally

My band runs a local sunday night blues jam. I hate it but every now
and then a like John Kally shows up.  He's a great guy. and a great
player - the consumate jammer.  He bring his own equipment, fronts
the jam band when he needs to and was extremely repsectful of my
equipment when I offered it to him.  John Kally is one of the few
people that I wouldn't mind listening to all night.  You played some
really tasty stuff John and sounded great through my set up. Thanks.

I've learned to pin point the good jammers from the bad ones.  I
don't believe in offering musical advice to others unless they ask. I
also think if at all possible the house band shouldn't be on the
stage if at all possible.  The jammers come to play and if they want
anyone from the house band to play then that's cool otherwise I like
to let the jammers play because most of them don't have a band or
would otherwise be able to gain "band" experience without open jams.

Going to jams were invaluable to me when I was learning to play.  I
learned quickly not to over play and not to play over the singer. Big
ears are a must and can only be developed by playing with others.

Every now and again some sorry soul will try to challenge my blues
harp player - most of you know that I am not a very good blues player
- if you're a jammer I wouldn't recommend doing that to the house
band because I really don't like it and last sunday I was forced to
make a fool out of the jammer to get him off stage. although he's
welcome to come back I doubt he ever will.  >;->
Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
cd available from CD Baby