[Harp-L] embossing (was Big Rivers)

In a message dated 1/25/05 5:59:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, Richard Hunter
writes:
In November, I took a dozen Lee Oskar harps that I'd micropored, removed
all the tape, cleaned the reed plates with lemon juice, re-set the gaps
(deeper toward the low notes, shallower on the mid and high range),
tuned the reeds where necessary, and embossed the slots.
Yesterday, i tried embossing for the first time.  I used the end of a socket
extension, not a penny, which i'll try next time.  I did it after arching
every reed then re-gapping the entire harp.  I was able to improve the
responsiveness of the harp.  But perhaps i went overboard with the embossing.  My reed
started to stick at the end and it took me a half hour to fix it!
  Correct me if i'm wrong - embossing is done on the side of the plate the
the reed is affixed to, so disassembly is needed to get at the top (blow) plate.

  My first question: is embossing best done before or after gapping?
  Second question: what are some other good tools to use to emboss, besides a
penny?
  Ok, three questions - what do u use as an anvil (for lack of better term)
to place your plates on, while embossing?
ron