Re: [Harp-L] Uncle Ed's jam night etiquette

I run a jam night (every other Thursday for those of y'all in the Austin area) and would respectfully suggest that *pro* players get enough gig/playing opportunities - assuming they're *pro* players - that they don't need to squeeze every last drop of exposure out of every single appearance opportunity.  Running a jam is still a gig, with it's own requirements, and those include making sure _everyone_ has a good time.  Musicians of whatever level who get sniffy about sharing stage time at my jam nights get themselves cordially thanked and invited to sit down at the first opportunity.  If I'm not too good to play with the beginners, I'm sure not going to let anyone else cop that kind of attitude on *my* gig.

I have a harp student coming out tomorrow night to sit in.  He's going to have his girlfriend and family there to watch him.  He's certainly not going to scare anyone in my band, but the sheer joy of being able to share the gift of making music on a stage with him sure outweighs any lack of ability he has.  Additionally, his presence (along with that of his posse) boosts the bar's revenue for the night, adds some good-natured audience members and makes for a successful event.

I generally do a set with my band first before opening the stage up.  If there is an intermission or break, my band will usually play a few tunes before opening things up again.  These are the spots to invite any visiting pro players up to sit in if I want a few tunes with just the professionals.

My motto:  There's more than enough music to go around so sit your ass down if you're not ready or able to share.

Best regards,

Tio Ed

By the way, if you're in the Austin area, I run every other Thursday night at the Tin Star Dance Hall in Giddings.  I'd love to see some more harp players show up.