RE: [Harp-L] Re: San Francisco/Amateurs and pros

Every open jam I ever attended was only "really serious" up on stage.
The patrons don't usually seem to be rapt by the goings on of the band -
even when the pros are at it.

One thing about open mic, or open jams, whatever you call them - is that
there will always be some degree of politics. One must expect to arrive
at the bottom rung of the pecking order when attending a new venue to
play. For instance, here on this list I am certain there are many, many
pro players - and yet, a host wouldn't know you from Adam should you be
down for shot to play.

Whether you are a seasoned verteran or a rank beginner, open jams are
always a situation where it pays to be on your best behavior - which
might also include tea totaling before you earn your regular spot on the
role.

At least... that's how it was "back in my day".

I think back to my first times and I do appreciate the hard learned
lessons giving to me by other musicians - and that is why today I feel
comfortable playing with any level of musician.