From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of larryboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:40 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: San Francisco/Amateurs and pros

I may have gotten out of bed on the wrong side today, but I have to take
a contrarian position on some of the things alluded to in this thread.
I fully agree with Richard's enumeration of pro vs. amateur
characteristics.  And I agree with most of what everybody else has said,
except, there seems to be an undercurrent, that amateurs should sit and
watch and some how it's ok if a pro puts the amateur in their place
(i.e. off the stage).  This rubs me the wrong
way.......bigtime.    If a pro wants to play with pro players only, then
he/she
should go to a "by-invitation-only" jam.  Blues jams are by their very
nature "open".  That means that anyone who signs up gets to play.  I
have no problem with giving the pros more time and trying to match
players of "similar" abilities.  This is very hard work for the host and
is often overlooked by the attendees eager for their time to play.  If a
pro-player comes to a jam, then this is what he/she should expect.  The
comment was made "No pro wants to be around anything that can needlessly
embarass them in any way....."  Hey guess what?  No amateur wants to be
needlessly embarrassed either.  Embarrassing someone is rude behavior.
There is no excuse for being rude.  Part of being a pro is not being
rude, especially to other musicians who admire you.  Having said that,
I've experience much more rudeness from amateurs than any pro
player.  An open blues jam is open.  Its not anybody's private party.
But
these jams are the primary venue for new players to work with other
musicians.
After woodshedding, its time to see what you can do in a live
environment.
Everyone should check their ego at the door.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com

PS: Sorry if I seem cranky this morning.  I was up late at a blues jam
last night!