Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] Big Rivers

Fernando Bresslau wrote:
> > From: "R.S." <jollyweasel@xxxx>
> > So I used the Micropore tape fix to provide a gasket
> > then lowered the gap.  I cannot believe how great they
> > sound and play now.
>
> I would carefully suggest that lowering the gap had more effect
> than using micropore. Big Rivers seal nicely, usually. Anyway, I
> stopped using micropore after the second or third harp. It makes
> the harp almost impossible to disassemble. Too sticky. And leaks
> between comb and plates usually have obvious and easy to repair
> reasons: dirt, burr, bent plates, screws tightened wrongly.

I agree with several of Fernando's points: things like bent plates,
and uneven screw tensions are more easy to fix without resorting to
gaskets, and gaskets are generally undesirable as they hold moisture
inside the harp and collect nasties.  I will argue, though, that
I've never had a problem disassembling a plastic combed harp
gasketed with micropore, and I've done a lot of them.  Remove the
screws, grab the comb at all four corners and twist it gently: the
plates pop right off.

I don't care too much for Big Rivers, as I've seen lots of leakiness
in them that's troublesome to remedy.  A lot of it is between the
covers and the reedplates.  As the bottom of the Hohner MS line, I
remember seeing harps that were tuned with deep gouges going nearly
all the way through the reeds.  I think Hohner has discontinued this
practice.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps