RE: [Harp-L] re: individual Huang's?/Mama's Boys?/Suzuki

I needed a Bb so that's the Folkmaster
I bought. The only Bluesmaster was an A, so...
I much prefer the Folkmaster. Sound, feel, just about everything. Don't care much for the Bluesmaster at all, at least in A. Other than the Hering Vintage (I have a C) the Folkmaster has come the closest to feeling like a harp that was designed for me. I know they are relatively cheap, but i'm looking for the lowest price, out of the box harp that still can sound like (even with my relatively poor intermediate playing skill) the sounds I prefer, which right now is acoustic since I don't have a mic and until I get a lot better probably won't spend the money on one.

Bry (Indiana)

Those Folkmasters are great little (and I mean little) harps to just have lying around or shoved in the pocket when you need a spot of harp therapy. The only tiny drawback I found was, because they're small and skinny, they tend to block up quickly unless you can train yourself to play dry. The only Bluesmaster I bought needed a ton of work doing to get it playable, but it was OK once I'd done that. I'm dubious about those spot-welded reeds though. Folkmasters have the usual riveted reeds. If you have to remove the Folkmaster covers for any reason, getting them back on in line is just about the fiddliest job on the planet. It's interesting that you like both the Suzuki and the Hering as the former is in equal temperament and the latter is in Just intonation.....

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
http://harmonicapics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Hear clips from my CD at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm