[Harp-L] Re: Budapest

Jim, wasn't the last one Mattyas Pribojszki of Blues Fools fame ? Let me try and dig up a photo...

There are a few here : http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Blues_Fools/

and more here :

http://www.bluesmans.de/gallerys/blues_fools/fools1.html

Mattyas is an awesome player, and fans of William Clarke or Gary Primich would utterly love this guy's stuff. And he's a real nicec guy to boot...

Ben

Just wanted to report that the fine city of Budapest appears to be a
harmonica hot-spot, further adding to its already considerable
attractions. I'm on a trip there and so far have seen three separate
bands all featuring or led by harp players. My Hungarian not being what
it might I didn't get any of their names (I plead as an excuse the fact
that Hungarian is undoubtedly one of the more challenging European
languages to comprehend).

These three guys ranged from very good, to excellent, to downright
outstanding. The third of them just blew me away... really top-rate
playing, diatonic and chromatic. I was also interested to note the gear
he used: he played both "acoustically" through the (wireless) vocal mike
into the PA, and through a Green Bullet into a Laney amp. In both cases
his tone was absolutely gorgeous. I guess only the GB would feature in
most people's list of "essential" harp gear, which just goes to
reinforce what we keep hearing - the tone comes from the player not the
equipment.

Anyway, if you ever get the chance to visit Budapest check out the
Freggatt Pub and the Old Mans Music Pub (yes, really - a name like that
makes me feel right at home !) for some top quality live music.

Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx