RE: [Harp-L] Re: full octave on 2 holes?

--- Chris Michalek <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Winslow what's the point of testing my knowledge on something like
> this?

I'm not testing your knowledge. I'm disagreeing with you. You've made a
statement that is too broadly qualified to be true.

> Froggy said "Well, I know some people able to get a full chromatic
> scale on two holes on a richter diatonic!"
>

> He used the word FULL  a FULL chromatic scale is twelve notes ie:
> C Db D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B

Yup. Start on any note of the scale and go up or down a semitone at a
time till you reach an octave above or below.

> He used his sentence while mentioning Howard Levy and thus implies
> that he thinks it is possible that Howard can do this.

Actually he didn't refer specifically to Howard. He said "some people."
Froggy is not given to being coy so I assumed he was talking about
someone else.

> You and I
> know Howard better than most people so you very well know that Howard
> doesn't use discrete combs and only uses Filisko Modified Marine Band
> with Special 20 cover plates with black electricians tape on the
> underneath of the cover plates if you want to be really specific.

No argument with the specifics of Howard's harps; sounds like the
Howard I know in this universe.

> I say again:
> It is not possible to get a FULL chromatic scale out of any two holes
> on a standard tuned diatonic.

Once again, that's a broad, general statement. You're not referring to
Howard there. And standard tuned does not exclude comb or cover design.

Sorry, Chris. If you say, "Howard Levy cannot get a full octave of the
chromatic scale out of any two holes of the diatonic harps he
customarily plays," I'll readily agree  - at least I've never heard him
do it.

Winslow