[Harp-L] Paradiddles

Gordon Graham wrote:

>Does anyone have practical ideas on
>incorporating drum rudiments into playing?

I think drum rudiments are incredibly powerful for building technique and facility. Note that I say drum rudiments, not paradiddles. Paradiddles are but one drum rudiment.

The drum rudiments I have been working with are the single-stroke roll (RLRLRL where R=right and L=left), the double-stroke roll (RRLLRRLL), and the paradiddle (LRLLRLRR). To play drumming rudiments on the harmonica, substitute blow and draw for left and right.

Let's take the easiest example, breathing in and out on the same hole. Blow 4 is C on a C harp, draw 4 is D. Start with a single-stroke roll (CDCDCDCD). Maybe play to a backing track or metronome so you know that your time is accurate. When you are comfortable doing this, try to play double-time. Try the double-stroke roll (CCDDCCDD). Then the paradiddle (CDCCDCDD). Try to be smooth and accurate and, when you have that under your belt, try to play them faster, maintaining the accuracy and smoothness. Work at this until the in-out breath patterns have worked their way into your muscle memory.

Then proceed to the next level of difficulty: 4 draw to 5 blow (D to E on a C harp). The musical interval between the two notes is identical to that between C and D (a whole tone). The in-out breath patterns are the same since, as in the first example, one note is a draw and the other is a blow. But now you must coordinate your breathing and moving between two holes. Work out on all three rudiments (and any others you want to try).

Now go back to playing a pattern on C and D in hole 4 using any of the three rudiments I have mentioned, then try to achieve the same speed, accuracy, and smoothness on the same pattern applied to D and E (hole 4/hole5). Make the harder one as much like the easier one as you can.

The next level of difficulty is applying the drumming rudiments where one or both of the notes is bent. And the level after that is playing intervals that skip a hole. It's hard to land accurately on a bent note and hard to play smoothly at any kind of speed when you have to skip one or more holes, but I believe that practicing the drumming rudiments helps one overcome these difficulties.

This is how I am using drumming rudiments. There are doubtless many other valid ways in which they can be used.

George