[Harp-L] GutsyTone

I've been studying Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson's version of "Walkin' By Myself" and trying to figure
out how he gets that dirty tone on some of his notes.   I know that some of it may be attributable
to whatever amplification setup he's using, but since some of the notes are relatively clean while
others are "gutsier" I think he must be controlling the tone from within to some degree.

Do any of you advanced players use throat rasp to get a gutsy tone?  Way back when I was beginning
to play I used to rasp, but I cast that technique aside years ago.  Now I'm wondering if its
something I should look at again.