Re: [Harp-L] Speaking of split intervals...

"Tim Moyer" wrote:
"Anyone have any suggestions on techniques to practice split
intervals, blocking only one hole while leaving the sides open.
I've heard folks like Richard Hunter do it with great facility.  Do
I just need to keep after it until I figure it out for myself?  I
can do two- and three-hole blocks (such as for blow and draw
octaves), but for me it's, well, out of reach."

First, anyone who can play an open octave on the diatonic -- like a 3
blow - 6 blow or 1 draw - 4 draw split -- can already play a split
interval.  The issue then is learning to control exactly how wide the
split is at any point in time.

One exercise that I found useful early on is to walk a scale up and
down, using the draw 2 and blow 3 reeds as a pedal point (meaning a
repeated, stationary pitch). Start with the draw 2 + 3 reeds; then blow
3 + 4; then draw 2 + 4; then blow 3 + 5; draw 2 + 5; blow 3 + 6 (the
octave); draw 2 + 6; draw 2 + 7; blow 3 + 7; draw 2 + 8; blow 3 + 8,
draw 3 + 9 (if you can); blow 2 + 9 (the double octave; it's a stretch,
but it can be learned).

One advantage of this exercise is that it will be immediately apparent
when your split starts to go out of control, and you can work on that
split before you proceed to the next one.

A follow-on exercise, once this one is mastered, is to start the split
as wide as you can go and then move the notes closer together, in
contrary motion.

Over time, exercises like this give you great control over very wide
intervals.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com