Re: [Harp-L] DeFord Bailey

On Jan 11, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Stephen Seifert wrote:

Mr. Leone, do you have any stories about Deford Bailey that you could pass
along? Where was his shoeshine store? What's his son's playing like? Where
can we go in Nashville to hear good harp playing?

Stephen Seifert
Nashville, TN
www.stephenseifert.com

Dear Steve, I'm afraid you may have me mixed up with someone else. While I did hobo around the south for a year (60-61), and heard many of the old great harpers, I never got to Nashville until 78. I had been on a telethon in Pittsburgh and was invited to go there for a show. I was to do ONE number solo, the rest back-up. I was invited back several times, but my state job wouldn't permit it. I only went back a couple times. My back-up was Al Petty, a terrific pedal steel man from Tyler Texas.
I never had the pleasure of meeting DeFord but know his stuff. He is before my time (I am 62). The only thing we share in common is that when I was small and we lived in Bensonhurst (Brooklyn), I shined shoes on the Staten Island Fy (Illegal), but they didn't bother you as long as you didn't hassle the passengers. As I have only been to Nashville a couple times, I can't tell you much. There is a guitar player down here John (Jackie Lee) Morgan, who WAS a studio musician up there. He tells me Nashville is just a mere shadow of it's former self, as all the "happenings" are now in Branson, Mo. btw, Charlie McCoy ALSO lives here now.
Sorry I couldn't help.

smo-joe (p.s. what's with the "Mr."? :) just cal me jojo)