Re: [Harp-L] Re: sharp 5 draw

On Jan 11, 2005, at 9:01 AM, Richard Hunter wrote:

Joe Leone wrote:<leone@xxxxxxxx>
"> On a country tuned harmonica, the 5 draw sharped, (on
a C harp this
would be
the F tuned up to F#) can you bend the 5 draw F# down
to F?
Absolutely, but this tuning would be rough to do Rocky Top with"

So use a standard tuning for Rocky Top...

* Yes, this is basically what I'm telling him. Once you cut that reed it will be hard to catch it "on the fly" already bent for really quick stuff. Shakes, warbles, and slurs will be nigh impossible at speed, but or course that bend can be handled at ballad speed with no problem.
Doing the Ryman in 78 with Ernest Tubb, I used one of MY tuned harps on Londonderry Aire. Several folks didn't understand why I used 2 harps (instead of 4). The tune is slow enough.

No single tuning is best for every song. That's why it's nice to have
different tunings to choose from.

Absolutely

The tunings I use most frequently, in order, are 1) standard, 2) natural
minor, 3) country, and 4) dorian minor. Playing these tunings in
different positions gives you a lot to work with. Dorian minor, for
example, works great in 1st position for tunes like "Tequila", where you
position, it's great for tunes like "Moondance."

Well, you're much more advanced than I. I use a chromo on Moondance, but I had been looking into natural minors when I gave up.

I have other tunings in certain keys in my case. For the "Homeless in Paradise" documentary I did recently, the instrument I used most was a Paddy Richter-tuned D harp, which happens to be the only Paddy Richter in my case -- I'm sure glad the guy wrote the music in D!

I would never be able to keep all those tunings straight in my head. I gotta hand it to ya.......jojo

Regards, Richard Hunter hunterharp.com