Re: Re: [Harp-L] Harp Cases Question

Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:46:55 -0000
From: "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Re: [Harp-L] Harp Cases Question
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>I have nearly all my mics converted over to a pigtail cord about 2
>feet long with a 1/4" female at the end, which is then plugged into
>a guitar cable.  If I step on the cord I might unplug the mic, which
>is embarrasing, but not drop the mic, which can be tragic.
>-tim

FWIW I've done the same with my four Green Bullets (each has a different
element), although I have 4' lengths of cable so theres enough to reach my
belt without restricting movement.  I started out using female jacks, but
after plugging in on stage and finding I had a faulty connection which was
no fun at all, I now use male mono 1/4" plugs on all of them.  Purchase a
handful of female/female 1/4" sockets to go between the mic and the cable.
Used a glue gun to stick velcro belt loops onto each one (MadCat mic comes
with this setup) - attach the socket to my belt, hardly noticable to wear
it around, means I can unplug myself from the cord, and walk away with my
custom mic in hand.  This way if someone steps on my signal lead the socket
is what takes the punishment anchored to me, and is the only component at
risk.
  When a socket fails, I use one of the many spares I have on hand.  When I
get home I remove the velcro belt loop from the socket, toss the socket and
set up another one with the velcro belt loop.

Having 4' leads means I can store the mics in camara pouches to protect
them. I use the little pocket on the front of the pouch to store
female/female sockets.

On the subject of cases.  I have two aluminium cases, one moderate, one
big.  I bought foam from a place that was prepared to cut it to dimensions
I wanted. And hacked away at it so I could put all my harps in, and I used
it for a while.  But after a while I found there wasn't enough room for
everything I wanted to take.  So I've pulled the foam out, and the
aluminium cases mostly stay at home now as a place to put things away in.

I keep each piece of equipment in its own little bag or pouch to protect
it. I keep each set of diatonics in a vinal harp belt.  Chromatics either
live in their cases, or take them out in a car stereo faceplate pouch, or
cellphone belt holder.

I've found laptop soft cases very useful for carrying harps and equipment
around, using the soft fabric dividers held in place with velcro to
compartmentalise everything.  But usually I can fit a set of harps, a mic,
the harp commander and cables in a bum bag that I originally bought for
tramping which I sling over my shoulder.

I prefer to travel light.
-- G.