[Harp-L] Chromatic questions

Being in the Big Brothers program.. I seized upon the opp to take my little brother (an excellent drummer) to the jazz society's jazz band school thinking it would be an excellent way to spend a Saturday in music..with no guilt from family obligations etc.. Well guess what..... the the teacher is a dynamic sax player who played with Dizzy, Art Blakey etc..etc..etc..etc...and wants me to participate with my chromatic......well being a lowly diatonic blues harpist ...I had only played 1st and 3rd positions on the chrom...and am only 14 scales short of where I need to be using Richard Hunter's wonderful Jazz book.

Besides condolences.. can any of you wonderful jazz people  give me any Ideas on learning the scales (what is that funny lookin' button on the side of the harp?)?. Is there an intuitive way of learning? Does it get easier with each scale?  I have to be a good example to my little brother!!! .........or is all lost?

Gordon

www.elainegraham.com
(804)370-7055