Re: [Harp-L] Why is a harmonica called a harp?

Hi Elliot,

--- ZAIS Elliot <ZAIS.Elliot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
<<snip>>
> However, it doesn't justify replacing the
> perfectly good name of our instrument, the
> harmonica or mouth organ with the perfectly good
> name of another, radically different, instrument,
> the harp.
<<snip>>

Okay "harmonica" is a perfectly good name. And,
granted, the harmonica doesn't sound anything like
a stringed harp.

But "mouth organ"? Yeesh! First, to use your own
logic, the harmonica doesn't sound anything like an
pipe organ or and electric organ either, for that
matter. And second, I personally think "mouth
organ" sounds vaguely disgusting. Is it just me?

I realize that the late, great, Larry Adler refered
to our beloved instrument as (~shudder~) a "mouth
organ." But personally I'll call it "harp" or
"blues harp" any day of the week before I'd ever
refer to it as a "mouth organ".

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.