RE: Fwd: [Harp-L] bright tuned/just intonation

Steve Shaw wrote:
> I hope Pat isn't latching on to your wording too much,
> viz "culprits," "offenders" and "jarringly."  I love it!

I doubt if Pat has to borrow much from the likes of me!

> With the biggest possible   ;-)    (I will try the tuning you
> suggest though).  And when I'm doing my own fine-tuning, e.g. of
> Special 20s, I set my tuner to A=441 or A=442, whichever will mean
> the least number of reeds to adjust.

I set the vernier on my tuner to +10 cents, and adjust everything
from there.  For the 19-limit just tuning, the lowest notes are
tuned A=439 (i.e., 4 cents flat of A=440), the highest to about
A=444 (i.e., 16 cents sharp of A=440), or 6 cents sharp of the
reference pitch.

I used to think that equal temperment was best for me because I
played mostly single notes, without chords and intervals.  But it's
kind of a "chicken and egg" thing, maybe I wasn't using chords and
intervals because they didn't sound good.  When I retuned my harps
to 19-limit just I discovered the joy or chords and beautiful double
stops, which I love now!

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps