Fwd: [Harp-L] bright tuned/just intonation

Around the 440 Hz reference point, there are about 4 cents per 1
Hz.  That means that 445 is up around 20 cents sharp, or nearly a
quarter tone.  Remember that just intonation also involves
sharpening quite a few notes, some of which would end up at 26 cents
sharp of A=440.  And while the harp would be "in tune with itself"
as far as chords go, this would do nothing to address the problem
that the 5 draw and 6 draw are 35 cents apart from each other.

An intonation strategy I prefer, which I got from Pat Missin, is to
use 19-limit just intonation.  This is the same as 7-limit just
intonation, except that the 5 and 9 draw, the main culprits in
deviation from equal temperment, are tuned about 2 cents sharp of
the reference pitch (rather than 29 cents flat).  I also raise the
reference pitch only by about 10 cents (about A=441 1/2).  This puts
every note on the harp within 14 cents of the reference pitch, and
also within 16 cents of "concert pitch", the main "offenders" being
sharp rather than flat.  Chords are VERY sweet, and the jarringly
flat 5 and 9 draw are avoided.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Bowering
<paul_bowering@xxxx> wrote:
Noticed one of the Hering models is what they call
'bright' tuned where they use A445 as a reference.
It's not stated what type of intonation is used but
this got me thinking. Could A445 (or higher) be used
in conjunction with Just intonation to make playing
with keyboards better?
The harp would be in tune with itself for smooth
chords while the higher refernce point would offset
the normally flat sounding draw 5 for single note
melody playing with other 12TET instruments. Or does
this just throw all the other notes too far out of whack?