Re: [Harp-L] 65 Fender Deluxe RI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 6:15 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] 65 Fender Deluxe RI

I just bought a year old 65 DR from my neighbor for $250. What do I have to do to make this thing useable for harp? I'm going to run a EV RE-10 into for for blues.

For blues shows, I normally play through a 64 Deluxe Reverb but it's
not mine.  The '64 sounds awesome but the new one doesn't have the
same bite.

Thanks

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com

Hi Chris,
Did you check to see if there's a solid state or tube rectifier in this RI? An original should have a 5Y3 rectifier tube, and the power tubes should be 6V6's. The reissues most likely have a printed circuit board on them. Check out the Fender website and there should also be a schematic there for it with the tube setup being used. The new Fender reissues usually come with Chinese or Russian tubes, and Chinese made tubes have usually sucked as a general rule, and the only Russian made tubes I'd buy with no problem are the ones made by SED. The newer 5Y3 rectifiers aren't as good as the ones that were in the originals, which was made by GE, and the extra price for one is worth it and they last a pretty long time.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com