Re: [Harp-L] John Mayall

--- samblancato <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> "jazmaan@xxxx" <dmf273@xxxx> wrote:
> > So I was just watching the Mayall tribute.  His
> harmonica playing seemed
> less than stellar.  Hard
> > to believe he's the same guy who played "Room to
> Move".
>
> but the people he gathered
> there were simply awesome (Johnny Almond, Steven
> Thompson, John Mark) and
> that's really where Mayall's talent lie- bringing
> together great musicians
> in a way that created synergy, and dynamics.
> Mayall's singing and guitar
> work seem to me to be where he was and is able to
> put himself across best.

John Mayall is a great band leader.  He gathers good
to great musicians around him, sets up a song or theme
and lets his band go.  He Clapton, Bruce, Green,
McVie, Fleetwood, Taylor [Mick and Larry],
Hekerstall-Smith, Mandel and many others grace his
bands music.

His current band is really good, and he keeps an
active tour going at 70 years old.  Currently his
website lists Buddy Whittington, Joe Yuele, Mayall,
Tom Canning and Hank Van Sickle as band members.  Joe
and Buddy have been with him a long time now. I have
some of his recent stuff and reccommend it not for his
harp, guitar, piano or singing but as a tight band
with some great music.

http://www.johnmayall.com/home.html

Lenny