Fwd: [Harp-L] rapid fire notes

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Peter Wright" <peterw@xxxx>
wrote:
When I want two notes in rapid succession I have tried to double
tongue
using the syllables "tuk ka".  For three notes is use "tuk ka tu".  I
can't
seem to get as good an articulation of notes as when I use
three "very" fast
diaphragmatic in-breaths.  (The kind of in-breaths that really make
your
belly bounce.)

=====Winslow asks:

What do you mean by "good"? This word may refer to something very
specific from a wide range of possibilities. Can you be more specific
about what you're trying to accomplish?

Generally speaking, the deeper down you do something, the
more "massive" the effect, while the farther forward you do
something - toward the actual harmonica - the more crisp the
articulation.

So tongue articulation would give you crispness while diaphragmatic
pulses will give you a larger pulsation of the individual notes.

========

Am I doing something wrong with the double/triple tonguing, or must
the
double/triple tonguing be accompanied by sharp diaphragmatic in-
breaths to
get good articulation?

=======Winslow:

Again with that highly subjective word "good," not to
mention "wrong" - wrong in what way? Combining diaphragm motion with
tongue articulation might give a combination of large pulses for each
note (diaphragm) with crisp articulation (tongue) and maybe this
would deliver what you're looking for, but there would be some work
to get them synchronized.

An alternative to the T-K sounds is the D-DL sounds (as in, "diddle,
diddle, diddle"), which I find less percussive and easier to deploy
with rapidity.

Winslow