Re: [Harp-L] chromatic question

Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:17:47 -0500
From: "Mike and Beverly Rogers" <mbrogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] chromatic question

>I'm studying Jamie Aebersold's jazz improv. course.
>Trying to do my dorian scales intervals, chord patterns
>rapid-fire.  My question:  ex. the F dorian has the draw
>F note and the button blow F, the blow C and the button
>draw C.  Is it a matter of personal preference as to
>which to use, or is there a preferred choice and a reason
>for it?  Hope this makes sense.  I've never really given
>it a thought, just did what felt comfortable.
>Bullfrog

Hi Bullfrog,
  There are no hard and fast rules, although some teachers may have their
own and teach them as lore.  The best thing to do is get comfortable
playing in F Dorian, then make your own choices as to what you use.

Personally I think its a good idea to be familiar and comfortable using any
and all the combinations of those choice notes, because the "best" one to
use  is entirely dependant on the context of the phrase you're playing.

Some examples to get you thinking:
(Tablature # hole no., + blow, - draw, ^ slide in.)

* i, Fm triad played  6^+ 7^+ 8+  is going to be smoother, and therefore
easier to play in legato, than 6- 7^+ 8^-, but thats probably slightly
easier than 6- 7^+ 9+ unless you're a profient corner switcher.
* ii Gm triad can only be played one way 7+ 7^- 9-
* IV, Bb triad is going to be smoother and require less work played 7^- 9-
10- than 7^- 9- 10^+
* v, Cm triad has a few options  4^- 5^- 6+  requires the least slide work
and breath changes than either 5+ 5^- 6+  or 4+ 5^- 6+.

This is just a few tiny examples out of the hundreds of possible phrases
and note combinations you may want to play. And these examples are not
given in any context. What may work most smoothly for play a triad on its
own, may not mesh in well with a musical phrase you're playing.   The more
colours to your palette the better.

More here:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/playing.html#thenextnote
and here: