[Harp-L] Re:A brand new Year, getting old and being German

Siegfried states that when Pierre quotes Ramon:  "" You truly begin to  get
old when you stop learning ", it isn't quite the case since in Germany they
have a saying:  "OK, there´s a grain of truth in, but only a very little  one.
In Germany we have a saying which expresses just the  contrary:

Man wird alt  wie eine Kuh und lernt immer noch dazu!

English: One can get as old as a  cow but always are learning in addition.

"Kuh" (cow) rhymes with "dazu",  insofar the saying sounds somewhat
stilted because a cow doesn´t become very  old (compared with Artie Shaw
just passed away with 94) Hey, that rhymes too  :).

So, I would say that to quit learning isn´t typical of old people,  unless,
they fall sick with Alzheimer or Parkinson.
Happy New  Year!
Siegfried"

>.......oh Pish, Tosh, Siegfried.  Only a German would assume that  everyone
outside of senility continues to learn as they age, lol  (<G>).   There are
countless people who decide at a  specific time in their lives that they now
"know it all", draw into themselves  and refuse to learn anything "new" once
they've reached a particular station in  life.  To my mind, that's what makes them
old, not their chronological  age.  If you'll permit me, my father-in-law
came to the U.S. from  Stuttgart.  A working man all his life, he built his own
small leather  briefcase factory in Germany, then worked building delicate
airplane  parts on an assembly line in the U.S.  He was an inveterate reader once
he  learned English and adored me (despite my being British <G>) since I was
the only person who would engage him in deep discussions on any and every
topic.  HE was the perfect example of someone who "never got old" because  he
continued to want to learn, being insatiable about absorbing  everything.   I
inherited all his books when he died.   Neither his wife nor his daughter thought
his library of Natural History, World  Wars, books on planes, Geography,
Ancient Civilizations were remotely  interesting.  His wife was much younger but
refused to know anything beyond  her very narrow interests of soap operas and
gossip.  There is "learning"  and there is learning.  It depends on what is
inputted into one's  computer.  It's the quality of the data inputted, methinks.
Ramon and  Pierre have it right.  One only gets old when you stop "learning"
and the  type of learning they are doing (as I believe anyone belonging to
this list is  as well) is deep, brain-cell activity.  Besides, with Ramon it
isn't that  he's trying to stay young, it's that the music is in him and must come
out, and  age has nothing at all to do with it.

Now is all this making me sound as crabby as Pierre thinks he might  be?  Not
my intent, just teasing you (about the Germanic thing).  I've  lived in the
midst of that type of pedantic thinking for longer than I care to  admit! (or
maybe it was too many years of listening to Oompah music?)   Maybe I am getting
old and crabby and my music is now forcing its way  out just to keep me young
too?  hmm

Happy New Year anyway
Elizabeth