Re: [Harp-L] Digitech RP400 sample

"Chris Michalek" wrote:
I got the Digitech RPx400 a few days ago and spent my new year's eve
tweaking the sounds.  There's so much to learn but I'm fairly happy
with the amp patch I set up.  What do you guys think?
www.michalekstrone.com/music/RP_400_AMP_patch.mp3

Patch:
PickUP/WAH=Off
Compression=Off
Amp Model= Tweed/Gain=80/AMPlvl=51/Cab=1x12/mic placement=1
EQ=Bass=4/MidLvl=0/Treble=4
Noise Gate=Silencer Attack=3 Threashold=5
Effect=Pitch=-12 FXlvl=0
Delay=Off
Reverb=Spring Predelay=5 Decay=60 Damping=30 Reblvl=35
This is certainly a usable patch.  It's a little feedbacky, which might
be coming from the EQ, the reverb, or the gain.  A GAIN setting of 80 is
pretty high for any of the amp models, including the tweed.  I also find
that the tweed model doesn't get crunchy very gracefully -- it tends to
push the midrange frequencies around 640 hZ very hard, which can produce
some peaky, feedbacky resonances.  Could compensate some by cutting the
mid-range EQ in your patch.

Your patch data shows that the effect is set to "pitch", with a setting
of -12 (one octave down) and a level of zero, meaning the effect won't
be heard. You could assign effect level to the foot pedal, and then
bring that lower octave in and out under footpedal control.

For a Chicago-style amped patch, also consider adding a slapback delay
-- 100 to 200 milliseconds. The Mono delay type is good for this; type 3
or 4 has the highs rolled off for a more vintage sound.

Finally, you might try this patch with a Boutique amp model with gain
set to 6 or 7, a stack amp model with gain set to 0, or a blackface
model with gain set anywhere between 30 and 60.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com