[Harp-L] classical recordings

Sorry, I have been unable to respond to all the emails about trying to get
a label to put out "Harmonica America" and classical recording in general.

But classical music as a business is much different from what it was 20 or
30 years ago.  First of all, all the Major labels have closed down their
classical divisions; when I was signed in 1988 to RCA the beginning of the
end was already started.  They hired a guy whose job it was was to reissue
old famous recordings from the vaults and therefore stop any new
recordings by new artists of pieces they already had.

At the same time NPR and PBS moved away from classical music almost
altogether so now only one in five of the classical music stations that
were around 30 years ago is still playing classical music and all play
much less than before.

Without Major labels, major media has move totally away from classical
music.  Carson and Ed Sullivan had classical acts on all the time; Leno
and Letterman never do!  Any classical music that gets exposure now must
be associated with a major movie or TV show.

There are therfore no Rubenstein's or Horowitz's starring anywhere.  If
Sir Simon Rattle, the Music director for the Berlin Philharmonic, were to
go on the Today Show and the "Pink" was on the same show, the Today Show
would be all over "Pink" and not give Maestro Rattle the time of day.  The
sad thing is that Maestro Rattle couldn't get on the Today Show and the
classical music business' response to this is "he wouldn't want to" which
is bull!!

But it is not just classical music, it is intellectual material of any
kind that does not fit into main stream POP that is being attacked,
perhaps politically motivated, or just because of money.

Soon all "classical" music will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes with
an orchestra, and rock will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes with a
band, and jazz will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes with a band with
a sax, and country will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes with a band
with a pedal steel, and blues will be Phil Collins singing Disney themes
with a band and a harp player!!

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com

PS - I will be playing next weekend with the Peoria Symphony and the
weekend after that with the Memphis Symphony, so come on out and please
come up and say hello - I love to meet fellow harmonica players!!

This message was sent using I-2000 Web Mail.
http://www.i-2000.com/