Re: [Harp-L] building a solo

--- tdbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> My question for the gang is about the mechanics
> of building a solo.

Hey TB,

Somebody recommended Barrett's material for getting
started building solos... That's great advice!
David is a fabulous teacher and provides a lot of
practical information.

My own approach is more or less consistent. If I
know I'm getting two 12-bar blocks I'll try to take
it pretty easy in the first 12-bars, making a
simple musical statement (usually based on the
hook, or bass line) and stay on the bottom of the
harp and allow tension to build slowly. Here I want
to play with authority, but NOT play everything I
know in the first 12 bars (a common error with
newbie hotshots). Hook the audience with great tone
and creative phrasing.

The second 12-bars you take what you created in the
first block and change it/bend/toy with it any
which way that fits... The audience is yours now...
take them way up to the upper register and finish
your 2nd block with a lot of flash. This sets up
whoever follows your solo with a lot of high energy
excitement.

Another way to play the 2nd block is to get to the
flashy stuff sooner, then take them down again and
finish your block with your original theme (musical
statement) from the first block. I really like this
approach because it is sort of like a story with a
beginning, a middle and an ending that takes you
full circle. You hand off the song just where you
got it, but having made a trip in between.

That's my 2 cents anyhoo...

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.