[Harp-L] Re: Bad Harp Movies

Michelle states:

"My entry for the most annoying harp in a movie, however, goes to 'The Windtalkers'. Christian Slater comes in with a close second to Chow Yun Fat in the category of poorly faked instrument playing. However, where Chow Yun Fat made it almost comical to watch, Slater's acting is sickeningly serious, thereby clearly establishing himself as my winner in the world's most annoying movie harpist category."

I guess I am confused as to her opinion - was it the "poor acting" that annoys her, or was it the actual sound of the harmonica?

Check the following link to learn who actually played the harmonica off camera:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0605073/

If the harmonica was played poorly, it was then according to script. Or if the actor was successful in appearing to play the harmonica badly, again according to script, either artist then deserves accolades for making it realistically believable.

I and our trio - The New World Harmonica Trio, with Ron Kalina on lead and Michael Burton on chord, were in a REALLY bad movie - the 1999 film by Paul Thomas Anderson, "Magnolia". We had fun doing our part in the film, but didn't really know the storyline until it was released. However, I must tell you that every July 1st we each get a check in the mail, making it all worth it, I guess.

And it was all worth it, just to be hanging with Philip Baker Hall, Luis Guzman, Ricky Jay, Danny Wells, etc.

Danny
--
BassHarp
PO Box 5061